Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"That Person"

You’re at the grocery store and you are in line behind “that person” who is not only dressed in frumpy pajamas and red Crocs, with a SCRUNCHIE in their unwashed hair, even though it is early afternoon, but is also purchasing random things like vinegar, milk, and glass cleaner. And then their card is declined and you have to wait while they embarrassedly count out ones and dimes, trying to cover the cost of those strange groceries.

You’re sitting in church and you see “that person” wearing the same rather unfortunate long skirt and too-big sweater. The same she was wearing last week. And that sweater… it has seen better days. It’s obviously a little bit cheap, it’s covered in fuzzy pills and bits of animal hair in more than one shade. You wonder why she doesn’t “try a little harder” or take better care of her low-priced clothes. They are clean, but beginning to look pretty shabby. And there could certainly be a better choice of footwear.

You pull up next to “that person” at a red light and notice that their decades-old car has obviously not been washed by anything other than sprinklers or rain in months. The dirt and water-spots do help mask some of the scratches and dents. You can hear the loud, idling engine that could obviously use a tune-up. You can see the random things thrown on the back seat, multiple empties in the cup holder, and mismatched seat-covers that are obviously covering worn VINYL seats, although they may actually be worse than the naked, cold seats they loosely cover.

You are attending a festive party, and there is “that person,” the one who doesn’t really fit in with the crowd. The one who came all alone, dressed in not-quite-appropriate attire, and awkwardly trying to blend into the curtains in order to avoid being noticed and thereby, well, noticed.

You are standing behind “that person” and notice the ragged ends of un-cut hair… the frazzled result of months of neglect. Why not just get a haircut? Why not color that becoming-more-noticeable gray that shows along the crooked, careless part. Why wouldn’t “that person” do such a simple thing?

Because it’s the holidays, you consider “that person” who is alone. You know “that person” isn’t pathetically alone, but there is no one to help decorate the tree, no one to share a cup of hot chocolate. No one to shovel the walks so they can stay inside on this freezing morning. They are capable. They are able. “That person” CAN do it alone.

You know there must be something wrong with “that person.” No one is single at that age unless there is SOMETHING wrong. People don’t remain alone by choice, even if it’s not a conscious choice, right? After all, look around… even “those people” found each other, and who in the world could love them? Obviously “that person” is so defective that they will remain alone.

You aren’t totally disgusted by “that person” but to be totally honest, you’re a little uncomfortable with the mess in the house. Why won’t “that person” just take a little time to clean up more? Why doesn’t “that person” get rid of some of the extra stuff? Do you really feel comfortable eating something prepared in that kitchen? There aren’t rats and roaches, but those cabinet doors could use a good scrubbing and the glasses have water-spots.

You are not a bad person. You are reasonably educated, you are open-minded, you are tolerant. You wouldn’t consider yourself judgmental. But you are a realist. You are observant. You don’t really judge others, but you have a moment of being relieved that you aren’t “that person.”

The thing is, though, that in spite of how I may look at others, suddenly I realize that I AM “that person.”

9 comments:

Laurel Leaves said...

Well I love "That Person". I am sorry she is alone, she is my BFF. I think about "That Person" all the time.

I think It's Christmas, if I were with "That Person" we would be quite literlly falling on our knees to the elevator music at Smiths.

Just call or text me and I will be there.

Please call or text me. I miss "That Person" so much it aches.

I love you. This was a beautiful post, "That Person" should share her feelings more, it's good to get them out.

I miss you.

Amy Laurel

Unknown said...

Oh Good Sweet Sister Riggs-

I relate so much to your blog. I too am a still single adult. I used to question people who where past a certain age and not married. I thought something must be so wrong with them not to be able to find a mate. I mean come on people it can't be that hard. But for some it is.

I think I have been cursed for my harse judgements with singleness.

Anonymous said...

Well missy, I must say that you see yourself much differently than others do.
I see a beautiful, talented, passionate, brilliant, kind-hearted, inspiring, stylish, spiritual, loving, gorgeous girl who is SO stinkin fun to be around. Everyone wants to be your friend, and every animal wants to be your pet! At this holiday season, please remember that those "perfect people" are also going through yuckiness, and most of them are carrying around all kinds of garbage. Especially those of us who have a hubby to live with and clean up after! And you have all eternity to figure out which guy won't drive you crazy... I'm impressed that you haven't settled! Trust me, you are brilliantly succeeding at life, and you bring joy to us all.
Heather Riggs... To know her is to love her!!!

Nathan said...

We are all THAT person in the end, aren't we? This was a really honest and powerful post, Heather. Thanks! I am old and single too...and I have been finding gray hairs in my eyebrows a lot lately... That means its over pretty soon, huh?
love and miss you like the dickens!

(also, the word I'm about to type for word verification is: mugulepo. cool, huh?)

Herrick said...

Thank you Heather. I've never seen That Person. Just beautiful, passionate, and kind you.
Love you. Merry Christmas!!!

"Sproge" is the verification word. nice.

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Hmmm, I am trying not to be mad at you. I saw this post just after you put it up and have been trying to come up with something powerful and witty say but after all that thought I understand that my first instincts, although rash, are usually what I can live with.

Nathan is right (or Wright), we are all "that person" in some way or another and with the self loathing that is propagated daily, there can be little chance of escaping but it is possible, I know it is.

We must not pity ourselves because it is then we become selfish and closed off to what others think of us. This is my biggest challenge, to live outside of my own head. This is also Elliott's biggest challenge, to convince me that I am worth loving...too personal, perhaps.

I will tell you what I see in you, the things I envy and wish that I had:

-Your wit: You are THAT person, who is ahead of the intellectual game. I was dealt an unfair hand. Somehow I turned out very serious and a little slow on the uptake

-Your skin. You are THAT person with the fair skin that always has a little glow to it.

-Your compassion: You are THAT person who can see people through different eyes. This is something that you and mom have in common.

-Your memory: You are THAT person who never forgets. So vivid and accurate. I rarely remember what happened last week.

-Your creativity: You are THAT person I call when I need a little help looking like the right side of my brain wasn't removed at birth.

-Your simplicity: You are THAT person who can be satisfied with simple pleasures. Sunsets, puppies, the $1 section at Target...

-Your singledom: I know this is a strange thing to say but I really do envy it at times. Being married means you have one more person you love more than you can stand and you spend your life trying not to disappoint them. It also has amazing benefits, don't get me wrong...I'm just saying

-Your tender soul: You are THAT person who has such a tender soul. I am convinced that is what makes you so good with animals. You look into each others eyes with no judgment or malice and an understanding is born. Humans think this through too much, question it and find fault in it.

All this to say, I love you. I am glad you are THAT person with a sense of humor for all the ridiculous things that go on around us and THAT person that has similar DNA to mine.

Hang in there, and remember that we all feel like people in the grocery store are looking at us for all the wrong reasons. Or maybe they are the reasons we think they are but - - - - them. Judgy judgertons suck!

auntie libby said...

great post, great insight. you are a beautiful writer!

Katie said...

Wow... love this post. I know I'm a little late to the game, but I just found your blog and will be adding you to my blog roll. I know we all feel like that sometimes... you express things so well. I also love the comments, especially from those of you I know as well. You are amazing and someone I have always admired. It was great to see you the other night, I just wish we could have spent more time visiting! Chris and I love you tons!

Nishant said...

I think It's Christmas

Work From Home india