Saturday, March 26, 2011

Yesterday's Attempted Post

I wrote this yesterday in Houston but my "free" wireless access timed out before I got it posted. More to come...


All it took was a 3 hour flight plus a 5 hour layover in Houston to provide me with a chance to update a little. I know that I could write a little more often… if I slept a little less, or watched a little less LLS on the DVR. But the reality is that, well, reality is pretty boring. I’ve crossed the year mark of being full time faculty. I love it. I mean I love teaching. I do not love sitting in a cubicle, grading papers, or attending meetings. But I love my students, love the subject matter, love the stinky rotten creatures. But routine… that I do not necessarily love. I am the product of a life with an exact pattern: you rehearse for a bit, the show runs for a bit, and then eventually it closes and you start again. That works really well for theater. In real life, however, you don’t usually get to rehearse- you just get thrown in on opening night and go from there- learn the lines as you speak them, change the blocking (if there even IS blocking), never know when your curtain call will arrive. And I’m used to that. I truly have something programmed into my DNA, I think, that is always waiting for this show to close and the next one to start. I have a hard time processing the fact that what I’m doing now IS the show, and there’s actually a possibility of a long run. That should be comforting. It IS comforting. But I really do keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, for something to change, to figure out what I’ll do and be when I grow up. Does that feeling ever go away?
Anyway, the point is that I am off on an adventure. I am really excited. I’ve been apprehensive, but the source of that has been all the things that I had to get ready at home. Now that I’m on my way, I am hoping this will be a great experience. Either way, I will post about it. That’s a promise. And a threat. Bolivia, here I come.

1 comment:

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Remember how dad always told you that you should be a teacher? Remember how you were resistant to that?

Remember how I have been on a 6 year run of my show and it is killing me? I just hope every morning when I walk through the door that I will need to throw my best SM problem solving skills at an artistic emergency but alas, the show has no audience so who would even care?

Ahh! Release me!