Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorials


Yesterday we held the family Memorial Day celebration at the Orem City Cemetery. It is a truly lovely spot (the one, in fact where my remains will hang out until they're needed again). Dad, Tim, Katie and Elliott, Amy, Mabel, and Kimball all joined in our decadent feast as we enjoyed that little taste of summer.
In honor of those in the family who have gone before, I did a (not so-) dramatic reading of a recently rediscovered letter written by my Grandfather Samuelson to my mother 2 weeks following her birth. He was in Europe at the time flying bombing missions, so the location is listed simply as "France." It was included in a scrapbook of items pertaining to my mother's birth. The existence of this letter was long since forgotten. I don't recall my mom every saying anything about it. She may not have known about it. But in honor of her and especially in honor of all who fight for freedom, it was a perfect addition to Memorial Day.

Here it is:


Dec. 28 [1944]
-France-

Hello Sidney [sic]…

We know little of each other little lady, but all the more reason why through a letter we should be closer.

When your Mother reads this to you remember , Sidney [sic], that she is the most wonderful person in the world and to be the child of this lovely lady gives you two strikes on the game of life even before you can hear them say “Play Ball.”

Of your looks I only know what has been written, but Sweetheart in my minds eye you are and can only be our daughter and you’re healthy and strong. So until we can see each other we can only dream.

Those dreams won’t have to be dreamed too long because here where we’re trying to make a free country for all of your generation, there are thousands just like your father. And even though each time we go out to fight we wonder if it worth it in lives, men, and heartaches, we upon return, realize that only through our courage, blood, ability, and final victory can you and your friends and children live in peace.

True when you get older you may wonder “Is it Peace” Make it be Sidney [sic] by living and believing that only through the love of our Father in Heaven may we succeed.

Goodbye, Little Lady. We’ll be together soon. Take care of your mother and remember

I love you Both

Dad




Thank you, Grandpa. I can't wait to meet you again some day. Thank you, Greatest Generation. Thank you all who still so bravely fight so that I can live in peace as my grandfather spoke of so many years ago.

3 comments:

Erica Casper said...

How sweet is that, I write to Ry so that someday he can share the letters with his kids, and so on. I hope they appreciate it like you did!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Thank you for posting this. Is it wrong that I really want to just spend all my time at the cemetery eating cheese?

Melissa said...

Wow! Who knew that Sam was so eloquent!
Were you there the week they were moving grandma out? I would love to hear about it. Jill said it was pretty upsetting.
I would love to hear about what other treasures you found!