Sunday, August 19, 2007

Inside My Haunted Head

I have trouble falling asleep a lot of the time. It is hard to shut my mind down long enough to rest. When I do finally fall asleep, I am haunted by very vivid dreams. Its not that they are nightmares, but they are so vivid and real to me that they leave me emotionally exhausted, and impact my mood, sometimes for days. I can usually pinpoint which aspects of my day manifest themselves in my dreams. One thing that has haunted my head for weeks now is a painting my Uncle Scott gave to me. It is taken from a snapshot taken many years ago at the SCERA Shell. He so honestly and accurately captured my mom's personality, intensity, mannerisms, etc. that it is somewhat disconcerting to me. I've got the painting hanging in my bedroom, but I may have to move it. Looking at it, I am reminded so much of my formative years spent at the Shell. That is where mom spent 22 hours a day (the other 2 were usually at VI) during the summer months. For most of those years, I was there with her. A few summers my siblings chose to spend their summers elsewhere while I stayed home to hang with mom at the Shell. Here social circle was my social circle. I may have been a "pre-teen," but I felt like a part of the crowd. I sat and watched and absorbed every word that was said, every step that was choreographed, learned the blocking and lines of every part in every show, accepted as gospel every word spoken by the Inner Circle of Shell-dom. This is where I wish my memory was a little weaker. It is full of specifics that are probably not worth remembering- funny things that were said that are long-since forgotten, little "inside-joke" moments, "meaningless" things said in passing, and moments of intense emotion that only a young teenager can feel. And all of this comes back to me in vivid, emotionally-charged snippets of dreams that begin with sleep while this painting watches over me. The abstract figures on the stage are real people to me- and I have a myriad of emotions attached to each of them. Do I wish I could forget? No. But I do wish I could remember without such strong feelings coming along with the memories. All at once, I'm 13 again. Or 14. Or 16, wishing so much to be older and wiser, but not knowing what that really meant. And watching over all of this is my mother. The eternal director, the one who could so honestly FEEL along with the people around her. Maybe that is why it is so intense to relive this- because I feel my mother there, living it all along with me again, leaning forward so intently, ready to jump out of her seat with that shout of "YES!!" and clap her hands, make that triumphal fist when the scene goes the way she saw it in her head, because she is feeling and living all that is on the stage before her. And I want to get it right. I want to have honest "moments" that will make her proud.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I teared up reading that, as I remember those experiences there, too! The fist and YES! are wonderful memories, cherised forever!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely spot-on. And it makes me snort that everyone on stage is "breaking the plane" so effectively. She would have been thrilled.

I've had to put on extra blush each night as I am doing my stage makeup, because I start to put the brush down and then remember your mom literally chasing me around with a blush-brush in her hand yelling, "You're too pale! You need some more color or you'll look like a big white blob up there!"

Nathan said...

I'm somewhere between crying and exhaltation right now, Heather. The picture is AMAZING and kind of does something to my heart and stomach that reflects a lot of what you're saying about the memories and the longing for that pre-adult longing. WOW! Thank you,Heather. Thank you, Sydney! I miss you both!

PS I got your text! I think of you all the time! MUahhhhh!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather. Nate told me to come and read this. I went to the SCERA for a concert when I was home this summer and I was so nostalgiac for my youth and for your mother. I cried that night, just like I am right now. Thanks for writing this. From, Heather Herrick

Anonymous said...

I know you already know this but you are your mother's daughter....sometimes I have to stop reading your posts and remind myself that I am reading Heather's words and not Syd's. I also love the picture. Your thoughts and inner struggles are so similar to Seth's with his dad. I'm sorry that I lurk, I just love to read and remember.

Herrick said...

What can I say? Thank you. This is an image that is frozen in my head quite often. I wasn't able to feel a real sense of closure with the loss of your amazing mother. To me, she is just continuing on, doing what she does best, and lifting others in the way only she can. And in reality, I'm sure she is doing just that, right now. And that's all the closure I need. I love you Heather. I needed a good cry. Thank you.

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Why you gotta make us all cry like that? And all of you who commented... tick! I suppose I should stop reading these at work.
I keep thinking that there will be some other time in my life that I too will feel as vividly as I did those years. Never will all those people who surrounded us know how clearly they are emblazoned in my memory or what a high standard all those since have been held to.
In my newest list of things to try (and fail), I have added to be as sensitive, accepting and inspired as mom was. I think it is going to be a long wait.
Love you.

Kate said...

As one of the oldest of the oldest Inner Circle of Shell-dom, I can only say this:

Your mother is proud of you every single day. Every single day.

I love you,
Kate (KATHRYN in the good ol' days) of Le monde de fromage de Kate

Anonymous said...

Great post Heather. By far, the most thought provoking post since your started this blog. Thanks for the drive around the loop when I was home for S.o.F.

And FYI, if you ever make it down here to Phoenix, I am still gonna take you to the best Thai resturant the "valley of the sun" has to offer...

marymary said...

Oh my gosh, Heather. That painting! I can't believe how evocative it is for me. One glimpse had me in tears. Thank you for sharing.

JDB said...

I stumbled upon this today and -- like the others -- I am filled with the memories and the power of those moments. They were our formative years and your mother had such an amazing role in the jello pudding of our existence. Much love! J